Auto Insurance FAQ

    • Question: I am registering a vehicle for the first time in Florida. Is automobile insurance mandatory?
      Answer: Yes. If you own a vehicle with at least four wheels and are registering it, you must have Florida insurance.
    • Question: What type of insurance is required to purchase and maintain a Florida license plate and registration?
      Answer: Florida's minimum coverage is $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 property damage liability (PDL) as long as you have a valid Florida license plate.
    • Question: What is Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance?
      Answer: Also called Florida No Fault Insurance, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance covers you - regardless of fault (i.e. whether or not you cause the crash) - up to the limits of your policy. Your PIP will also cover your child, members of your household, certain passengers who lack PIP Insurance as long as they do not own a vehicle. PIP also covers your child if he or she suffers an injury while riding on a school bus. PIP coverage protects you while in someone else's vehicle, as a pedestrian, or bicyclist if you suffer an injury in a crash involving a motor vehicle.
    • Question: What is Bodily Injury Liability insurance?
      Answer: Bodily Injury Liability coverage pays for serious and permanent injury or death to "others" while operating a motor vehicle. Your insurance company will pay for injuries up to the limits of your policy and provide legal representation for you if you get sued. In particular, your company pays for injuries caused by you or members of your family who live with you, even if they were driving someone else's vehicle. It may also cover others who drive your automobile with your permission. This coverage also provides you with legal defense in the event you are sued by the injured party.
    • Question: What is Property Damage Liability (PDL) insurance?
      Answer: This coverage pays for damages you or members of your family cause (and are liable for) to other people's property in a crash involving a motor vehicle.
    • Question: What is meant by Florida Coverage?
      Answer: Florida coverage is an insurance policy delivered or issued for delivery in Florida by an insurance company licensed by the Florida Department of Financial Services.
    • Question: Can I maintain my current policy issued in my previous state of residence?
      Answer: No. The minimum required insurance must be issued through a Florida agent with an insurance company licensed to sell in Florida. Most insurers have Florida agents and are licensed to issue policies in Florida. Just ask your agent to transfer your current insurance to Florida when you register a vehicle in Florida.
    • Question: What if I fail to keep insurance on my vehicle that I have registered in Florida?
      Answer: The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is authorized to suspend your driving privilege, including your vehicle license plate and registration, for up to three years or until proof of Florida insurance is provided, whichever is first.
    • Question: If my driving privilege is suspended because I am not properly insured, is there a penalty to reinstate my license?
      Answer: Yes. A reinstatement fee of $150 up to $500, for subsequent violations, must be paid and you must provide proof of current Florida insurance.
    • Question: I live outside Florida for six months a year. When I’m not in Florida and my vehicle is in storage and not used. Do I need to maintain automobile insurance?
      Answer: Yes. Any vehicle holding a valid Florida license plate and registration must be covered by a Florida insurance policy throughout the entire registration period. When you leave Florida, you may surrender your license plate and registration at the nearest driver license or Tax Collector office to avoid maintaining your policy. You can always register your vehicle upon your return to Florida, at which time you can provide proof of Florida insurance.
    • Question: I am not a resident of Florida but I have business that keeps me in Florida sometimes for several months at a time. Must I comply with Florida's insurance laws?
      Answer: Yes. Any person who has a vehicle in Florida for more than 90 days during a 365-day period must purchase personal injury protection and property damage liability insurance coverage. The 90 days do not have to be consecutive.
    • Question: I own multiple vehicles. Some are not used but the area I live requires that the vehicles remain registered. Must I maintain insurance coverage on these vehicles?
      Answer: Yes. Insurance coverage must be maintained throughout the entire vehicle registration period, whether the vehicle is used or not.
    • Question: What can I do to avoid a driving privilege suspension when I choose not to insure a vehicle?
      Answer: To avoid a driving privilege suspension, surrender the vehicle's license plate and registration at any Florida driver license or Tax Collector office, prior to canceling your insurance policy.
    • Question: If my driving privilege is suspended for no insurance, will I be granted a temporary driver license for Business or Employment purposes?
      Answer: No. There is no provision in Florida's motor vehicle insurance laws for the issuance of any sort of temporary or restricted driver license for financial responsibility suspensions.
    • Question: I am self-employed as a taxi driver and the only vehicle I own is registered as a taxicab. Must I carry automobile insurance?
      Answer: Yes. You must carry Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) coverage of $125,000 per person, $250,000 per occurrence and $50,000 for property damage liability (PDL) coverage.
    • Question: I am moving out of state and will not be registered in Florida any more. Can I cancel my insurance?
      Answer: Do not cancel your insurance until you have registered in the other state. Florida insurance is required as long as you are registered in Florida, regardless of whether you drive in Florida. Once you are registered in the other state, you can cancel Florida insurance and comply with the insurance requirements of the state you have moved to. If you are retaining the same carrier, they can switch you simultaneously with registration change.